It’s been a little over a week since I landed back home in sunny Sydney from my month long rum travel – god it feels so good to be back in my own bed! Annoyingly though, half way through the last leg of my trip in London, I was struck down with a cold and only went and bloody lost my voice – not the best when I only ever come to London to see my family and friends once every two years! Cue my aunt fixing me up a glass of Hot Toddy (whisky, lemon, honey and water), which was surprisingly really tasty and super soothing on my throat.
Now I am back home, I have been on a mission to mock up my own delicious, rum based Hot Toddy to soothe all future sore throats. It took quite a bit of perfecting, but I am pleased to introduce you all to my little baby:
Kara’s Rum Toddy
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 60ml water
- 2tsp Manuka honey
- 60ml Bacardi Ocho 8 Year Old Rum
- Cinnamon stick
- Grating of Nutmeg
1. Place all your spices and lemon peel into a small pan.
2. Pour water into said pan and begin to gently simmer over a low heat.
3. Add your honey into the pan once it has begun to simmer- I use Manuka honey for it’s healing properties.
4. Pour in your choice of rum – I chose Bacardi Ocho 8 Year Old Rum for this due to its very smooth and fruity tones.
5. Pour your Toddy into a heat proof glass- feel free to taste for sweetness.
6. Top with a little nutmeg, breathe that bad-boy in deeply and enjoy.
What did you think guys. How did my Toddy compare to all the others you have tried? Leave me a message below as I would love to know 🍹
Photography © by Kara’s Rum Quest – Copyright: All rights reserved.
This article is posted on karasrumquest.com – All rights reserved – Copyright © 2016.